Social Life and Agricultural Development Organization (SADO) is a Somalia based Local Non-Governmental Organization (LNGO) established in 1994 with the aim of spearheading local development initiatives in GEDO region and other parts of South-Central Somalia. SADO is legally registered in Kenya and in Somalia under Somalia Federal Government and in Jubaland State of Somalia. With its headquarters in Mogadishu, Somalia, SADO has base stations in Kismayu, Bardera, Elwak, Garbaharrey, Belt Hawa and Dollow Districts of Somalia. It has operational presence and experience in the greater Horn of Africa. SADO is a firm believer in the fundamental moral principle of humanity; that all human begins are born free and equal in dignity and rights and therefore action should be taken to prevent or alleviate human suffering arising out of disaster or conflict, and that nothing should override this principle. Our activities are grounded on the rights-based approach on the belief that people are entitled to basic conditions of living with dignity and have access to equal opportunity as a basis of fulfilling their human potential.
SADO therefore seeks to stimulate sustainable developmental change amongst vulnerable communities living in the Horn of Africa region. SADO's mandate and core business is facilitating community development. These ambitions are realized through knowledge transfer, influencing, brokering linkages and facilitating/ implementing integrated people centered humanitarian and development programs. The main developmental approach of SADO is enabling the communities to find local solutions to their socio-economic challenges.
SADO has an impressive track record and experience in implementing community-driven development (CDD) programs in Governance, Food Security and Nutrition, Climate Smart Economic Empowerment (CSEE) Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (CRWASH), Education, Health, Shelter and settlement. Additionally, human rights, gender and environment have over time been addressed by SADO as cross-cutting issues. The main target groups of SADO include vulnerable and marginalized pastoralists comprising of individuals, families, groups and communities.
SADO has a well-defined and functional internal organizational structure that seeks to deliver its strategic objectives. SADO works through a number of well-resourced human resources, infrastructure, and equipment spread across its field offices. Policy and strategic guidance, leadership and oversight are offered by a diverse and competent Board of Directors.
Our mission is to work with our partners in improving the quality of life of vulnerable communities in Somalia through facilitating humanitarian aid and sustainable development programs
A horn of Africa in which vulnerable communities live in dignity and security
SADO believes in, and is guided by the following ideals: respect, moral and ethical standards, making sound judgments in our programming and innovations.
WHO WE ARE
Social-Life and Agricultural Development Organization (SADO) is a non-partisan, non-Governmental, not-for-profit organization established in 1994. SADO's mandate and core functions are facilitating Community-Driven Development (CDD), which are actualized through (knowledge transfer, influencing, brokering linkages, and facilitating/ implementing integrated people-centered humanitarian and development programs. The main target groups of SADO include vulnerable and marginalized pastoralists comprising of individuals, families, groups, and communities.
SADO aims to promote long-term community-drive development among Somalia's most disadvantaged groups. The mandate and primary function of SADO are to assist in developing communities to realize their full potential. SADO's primary developmental strategy is to help communities discover answers to their socio-economic problems.
SADO has fostered good working relationships and collaboration with a range of stakeholders, including the FGS, FMS, CSOs, peer NGOs, INGOs, and development partners. SADO has worked with the key development partners: ACTED, NCA, Oxfam Novib, NEXUS platform, Somalia, and USAID. The organization engages closely with these like-minded agencies/institutions to pursue a comprehensive and integrated approach to programming.
- To strengthen governance structures, partnerships and funding
- To ensure food security and income through integrated FSN and cash interventions for crisis-affected households while investing in resilience activities to support the protection and restoration of livelihoods
- To facilitate sustained access to reliable Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation and Hygiene services for crisis-affected populations households through WASH infrastructure development and knowledge and skills transfer
- To increase access to quality education for school-aged children at primary and secondary school levels and access to protective learning environments for emergency and crisis-affected children by supporting the quality of teaching and learning processes for teachers and students in selected learning institutions.
- Improve access to gainful employment opportunities for 5000 vulnerable women and youth through good quality market – driven vocational skills education in Somalia
- To contribute to stability and co-existence among communities by supporting constructive engagement meetings with FGS and FMS institutions to improve peace and the rule of law.
- To promote management of acute malnutrition; both severe and moderate malnutrition among crisis affected households through strengthening the health care services, emergency preparedness and response.
- To ensure equitable access to protection services in the most dignified manner for newly displaced people and improve the living conditions of protracted IDPs through provision NFIs and transitional shelters.
- Collaboration: We are better together. We encourage strategic collaboration with our partners to bring out the best solutions and strengthen the fabric of our communities.
- Commitment: Those we serve come first in everything we do. We champion their realization of their full potential to lead fulfilling lives and contribute meaningfully to society.
- Results orientation: We are driven by the changes and impacts we exist to create. We are committed to providing timely and high-quality solutions and services. We closely collaborate the efforts of each person/ actor in delivering our services.
- Open communication: We believe in granting access to information. We value and use the best approaches competently to communicate amongst ourselves and with others. We support all stakeholders to understand and express themselves concerning their well-being.
- Competence: We are committed to acquiring, developing, and retaining the highest possible quality personnel as a basis of assuring the best organizational performance standards.
- Creativity and innovation: We are committed to ensuring a work environment that encourages creativity and embracing of new ideas and technologies to make our work more effective.